How can I persevere through challenges at school and in my community?
We will act as historians by reading and analyzing literary and informational texts about the lives and contributions of American historical figures. With this information, we will work in groups to create a timeline of how these figures impacted our country’s history. Individually we will research, write a biography, and create a visual representation of one of the many historical figures we learn about.
Key Knowledge and Understanding
Ask and answer questions about key details in a text. Read about and describe the life of historical figures in American History. Describe how each historic figure in SS1H1a was influenced by his or her time and place. Describe how historical figures in SS1H1a display positive character traits.
- Benjamin Franklin – hard work
- Thomas Jefferson – fairness
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. – equality
- Lewis/Clark/Sacajawea – respect for others
- Theodore Roosevelt – respect for the environment
- George Washington Carver – hard work
- Ruby Bridges – courage
Write informative/ explanatory texts in which they name a topic, supply some facts about the topic, and provide some sense of closure.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Biography of Historical Figure
- Museum presentation of an American historical figure